Business Environment Council Limited (“BEC”) held its flagship event BEC EnviroSeries Conference with the theme “Formulating Business Roadmaps Towards Net Zero” today (29 November) in hybrid mode, attracting over 1,000 in-person and online participants including government representatives, business leaders, entrepreneurs, industry experts, academics and other interested participants from Hong Kong and abroad.
Making his opening address, Mr Kevin O’Brien, Chairman of BEC, remarked, “The United Nations Climate Change Conference COP27, which has just come to a close in Egypt, reiterated the same unprecedented call for a climate-safe future and net-zero transition as we have seen in previous and other international conferences related to climate change and net zero. With all the huge challenges ahead, it is essential for all business sectors to formulate their own roadmaps toward net zero so that all of us can play our roles to accelerate the change for a more sustainable future.”
With four industry-specific sessions, namely, “Innovation and Technology – Walk the Talk”, “Transport and Logistics – Towards Zero Emissions”, “Construction and Properties – Life Cycle Perspective”, and “Hospitality – Climate Actions and Behavior Change”, the Conference steers discussions on how sectoral net-zero roadmaps are developed and what practical steps are needed towards 2030, 2035 and 2050 to bridge ambition and action.
Sharing and presentations from speakers, panellists and moderators at the Conference have not only inspired peer companies within the specific industry to accelerate action planning, but also informed the audience how COP27 or the latest international climate negotiations would have implications on their roadmap and action.
Mr Simon Ng, Chief Executive Officer of BEC, said, “I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude to all the speakers, panellists, moderators, sponsors and supporting organisations for their valuable contribution and insightful sharing. The two EnviroSeries Conferences we organised this year mark a new chapter in BEC’s partnership with our members, the business sector and the wider community towards a net-zero Hong Kong.”
Among the speakers, panellists and moderators at the Conference were (in order of appearance):
- Mr Kevin O’Brien, Chairman, Business Environment Council
- Mr Charles Ng, Associate Director-General of Investment Promotion, Invest Hong Kong
- Dr William Joyce, Innovation Lead, Industrial Decarbonisation, UK Research and Innovation
- Ir Dr Shelley Zhou, APAC ESG Lead, Capco
- Mr Erdal Elver, President and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens Ltd., Hong Kong and Macao
- Prof Davis Bookhart, Director, Sustainability / Net-Zero Office, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Ir Kenny Wong, Head, Carbon and Environmental Excellence, Green Living and Innovation Division, Hong Kong Productivity Council
- Mr Sandro Desideri, Co-CEO, Ianus Energy Transition Pte Ltd
- Mr Merlin Lao, Head – Policy & Research, Business Environment Council
- Ms Jessica Chan, Head of Sustainability, MTR Corporation Limited
- Ms Grace Cheung, Group Head of Sustainability & Corporate Responsibility, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
- Mr Karim Fahssis, Head of Decarbonisation - China, A.P. Moller – Maersk
- Ms Kristy Tan, Senior Manager – Climate Resilience, Sustainability, Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Mr Craig Tuckerman, Regional Sector Head, Retail - Asia Pacific, DHL Global Forwarding
- Ms Sophie Punte, Managing Director, Policy, We Mean Business Coalition
- Ms Jenny Zhang, Director of ESG and Decarbonisation, Urban Land Institute APAC
- Ms Emma Harvey, Group Sustainability Manager, Gammon Construction Limited
- Mr M.K. Leung, Director of Sustainable Design, Ronald Lu & Partners
- Mr Ka Keung Choi, Director, Green Island Cement Company Limited
- Mr Patrick Ho, Deputy Head, Sustainable Development, Swire Properties Limited
- Mr Ivan Fu, Chairperson, Committee on Environment, Construction Industry Council
- Ms Sindy Wong, Head, Tourism and Hospitality, Invest Hong Kong
- Mr Joshua Wong, Senior Manager, Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability, The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels
- Ms Mehvesh Mumtaz Ahmed, Global Head of Social Impact, Rosewood Hotel Group
- Ms Gigi Lau, Head of Marketing and Sustainability, Compass Group Hong Kong Limited
- Ms Peggy Chan, Executive Director, Zero Foodprint Asia
- Mr Benson Lam, Director of Sustainability, Century City and Regal Hotels Group
- Mr Simon Ng, Chief Executive Officer, Business Environment Council
EnviroSeries Conference is BEC’s flagship event that aims to provide a cross-sector forum for stakeholders to discuss and address key issues related to Hong Kong’s environmental sustainability, and serves as a BEC’s key initiative for thought leadership development on important topical issues.
Throughout 2022, BEC has put together a series of initiatives to celebrate our 30 years of promoting environmental excellence and corporate sustainability in Hong Kong. With EnviroSeries Conference as our flagship event, BEC will continue to drive business ambition and commitment into real action, and to accelerate business transformation in the city.
Mr Kevin O’Brien, Chairman of BEC, urges the participants to formulate business roadmaps towards net zero at today’s EnviroSeries Conference
(From left) Mr Kevin O’Brien, Chairman of BEC; Mr Charles Ng, Associate Director-General of Investment Promotion (Sector Specialists) of Invest Hong Kong; and Mr Simon Ng, CEO of BEC, at BEC EnviroSeries Conference “Formulating Business Roadmaps Towards Net Zero”
Mr Simon Ng, CEO of BEC, hopes to continue to partner with BEC Members, the business sector and the wider community towards a net-zero Hong Kong
BEC’s flagship event EnviroSeries Conference today attracts over 1,000 in-person and online participants to join for formulating business roadmaps towards net zero
– END –